Great workday today with good progress.
You might of received a blog notification email telling you about the dates for the next few weeks. I have changed it so that there is a ‘Workday Dates’ tab on the brown navigation bar, so the link on the email now leads to a blank page.
We pushed on with the path widening. It is such hard work but it is really starting to take shape and look good.
We are switching from side to side to create kinks in the path. This will stop a wind-tunnel effect happening which will not be good for insects and butterflies.
If we let the vegetation on the left-hand side grow in slightly the old muddy path will become a bit of a run-off drain and force people to walk on the new path to keep it trodden down. We are keeping trees and will thin around them to give them the space to flourish. Notice the south-facing butt at the end of this run. This will be in full sunshine in the summer and also creates a windbreak where we switch to clearing the left-hand side and leave the right-hand side to encroach over the muddy path. Eventually we will have sweeping curves, with pockets of sheltered scallops, and plenty of clear ground for grass and wildflowers to grow.
Ed took out one of the last few trees (the one with the bird box attached) that we want to remove in the picnic clearing with his chainsaw, and I got the fire going from the embers of Sunday’s fire, despite all the rain. Nice to see that the bird boxes that we put up last year were used over the summer and we must get on and put up the remaining ones.
Thanks to the four of us who made it today. Got plenty done and we can really see the outcome of our efforts.