Today I jumped on at Berrybanks and walked down to the bird-box clearing, where I met Mick and Aaron. Picked up about a third of a bag of litter. Some of it was aged stuff and a little bit of fresh, including pop cans and sweet wrappers. I also cut back any bramble that looked like it was about to shoot out across the path.
Mick and Aaron had been doing the same way further down the path, so we got a lot of ground covered.
Looking southwards. Aaron is down there somewhere. Notice how green the path is, now that we have made it a lot wider.
Mick is down there somewhere as I look northwards.
And Mick found this interesting beetle!
So far we have identified various areas that we want to tackle in September and on through the cutting season. These are..
Berrybanks: remove the first line of trees on the path where it has not been cut right back, plant a wild flower meadow seed-mix on the floor of the cutting. Clear a meter wide strip and plant kidney vetch exclusively so as to attract the small blue butterfly.
Bird-box clearing: extend the clearing southwards into the cutting.
Beyond the bridge where we officially stop: rip a three meter wide path all the way down to Draycote. It is 1.6 miles so the total length of what we will be looking after is going to grow from 1.9 miles to 3.5 miles. However, it is only about half a mile that needs totally ripping out and the wet ground sorting out. The rest is pretty clear.
With the existing clearings we will need to brush-cut the bramble out so plenty to do.
Great day today.