Great workday today. Linda, Aaron, Mick, Tim and myself were treated to a nice bit of winter sun as we worked to clear off the south facing bank at Berrybanks.
Having cleared the dead vegetation from last year, we found lots of new things starting to grow.
We sowed our calcareous wild-flower and grass seed mix. If it takes and is a success we can extend it for the whole length of the cutting and have a superb wild-flower meadow.
Fungi finds today were equally exciting. There is Jelly Ear growing on our new wood-pile and this other strange thing which I will try and identify later on.
Dead wood is full of bore-holes so will be full of insects in the spring.
And our dead-hedges are getting covered with bramble. This will be such a fantastic food store for birds and mammals in the autumn.
Lastly, we have a lot of really lovely moss that is growing over a lot of the dead wood. This is yet another wildlife avenue that we can go down and learn about. And I found a little sprig of holly growing, which will be lovely if we can get it onto the dead-hedge.
Next workday is next Sunday with our “community second Sunday in the month” that was supposed to be clearing the path down to Draycote. Still waiting for the paperwork so if we have it, we will be down by the A45 doing a massive litter-pick, if not, we will be in the picnic clearing cutting back ash trees to allow sunlight to hit the ground on the south-east facing bank.
Thanks to all who made it today. It is starting to get a little bit interesting.