Our good friend, Andrew, made us some more bird boxes and bat boxes. Thank-you, Andrew. Aaron, Mick and myself got the bird boxes up around a nice clearing south of the bird-feeder area.
Two are directly on the path, and high up, and the other two are off the path so will be useful for birds that are not bold enough to use the ones on the path.
The four bat boxes need a slight modification. The slit at the base is too wide and will allow predators to enter the box. The slit needs to be 15 to 20 mm wide. By chance we found a length of timber that we can cut up and reduce the width of the slit. We can then mount the boxes on the oak tree at the start of the big clearing. They need to be 12 feet high and face the sun between south-west and south-east. This will give the bats four different places to roost, depending on the time of the day and time of year.
I have changed Wednesday’s workday to get us back in the clearing to finish off.
Andrew also gave us a sack of bluebell bulbs so we need to get these in pretty quickly.
We have the last few berries on the shrubs and trees so I will order the meadow seed mix and we can start to roll back the scrub, and seed the bare ground. It is very noticable how our widening work last year has created rich grassy areas and a nice open feel.
A tool that we all agreed that we need is a pole saw. We really need to keep the overhanging branches cut back. I will see what I can do.